Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Grocery Shopping Fun

Ah...my favorite task. Grocery shopping. We do this as a family because my husband insists on being able to get "his" food. ( After all these years he still thinks I don't know which granola bars he likes.) This trip was a particularly fun one because we had not gone in so long. And I needed to get many dairy products - a very hot topic in our family. I am absolutely insistent that (almost) all dairy be organic. All those antibiotics and growth hormones scare me, not to mention the horrific conditions cows are kept in. As I stood there getting milk, sour cream, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, kefir, and yogurt, all I heard were grumblings about how we were spending twice/three times as much for this stuff. Tacking on the organic strawberries ($2.00 more), organic carrots (SAME PRICE!!!), and other odds and ends led to a grumbling husband. Not to mention the fact that I try to cut out as many items containing high fructose corn syrup and artificial flavors/colors which leads to a lot of label reading adding on to the length of the shopping trip. To me, this is all well worth the extra time and money for a healthier family and earth. But all I hear is "grumble grumble grumble...organic...grumble grumble grumble...what the hell is wrong with high fructose corn syrup...grumble grumble grumble...reusable grocery bags..."

I do have to give him credit. He is starting to come along nicely as I educate him. And I do understand that we are having a tight month (new brakes, new shocks...gotta love cars), but healthy eating is just not something that can be compromised.

So, that is my little bitch session about grocery shopping with a grumbly husband. Feeling better now that it is off my chest. Hope all my readers enjoyed it. Wait...I have no readers! Oh well! Still feel better getting it off my chest! : )

No comments: